T. Terry Hayashi

T. Terry Hayashi


Teuro Hayashi (Terry), the name given to him by his family, was a most appropriate choice, as it translates "BRILLIANTLY SHINING BOY." Indeed, Terry was brilliant and shining, rising from the depth of one of our nation's darkest hours -- the internment of Japanese Americans in World War II -- to the highest pinnacle of our specialty.

T. Terry was born July 23, 1921. He had what he would call a normal boyhood in Sacramento, California, filled with school, sports, fishing, swimming, and scouting (he was an Eagle Scout). Upon finishing high school, "Buster," as he was then called, attended the University of California at Berkeley, like his four brothers (he also had two sisters). This is where the "normal boyhood" ends.

In 1942 he was evacuated with his family to the assembly center at Walerga and then to Tule Lake in California, with its barracks, mess halls, barbed wire fences, watchtowers, and armed guards. At Tule Lake Terry worked with the Sanitary Corps and became a laboratory technician. With the help of the National Japanese-American Student Relocation Council, he was admitted to Temple University in Philadelphia, leaving Tule Lake in January 1943. At Temple Terry received his AB, MS, and MD degrees, graduating from medical school in 1948 after having completed his specialty training in obstetrics and gynecology.

Terry enlisted in the United States Army in 1949 and was stationed at the 97th General Hospital in Frankfurt, Germany. It was there he met Ursula MaryAnn Promann while she was working as a civilian nurse. They were married in New York in 1953 and have five loving, caring, and achieving children -- William, Peter, James, Ann, and Robert. Ursula is well known and a great friend to all of us at the AGOS, where she gave strong support to Terry and was a constant help in seeing that our meetings went smoothly for all the many years that Terry was Assistant Secretary, Secretary, and President. For this we are extremely grateful. Terry was a true scientist, an excellent clinician, and a superb teacher. His academic life was extremely productive, with numerous entries in the obstetric and gynecologic literature.

Foremost among his many honors and contributions was his service as Assistant Secretary to the American Gynecological Society in 1979, 1980, and 1981; as Secretary to the American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society in 1982, 1983, and 1984; and then as President of the American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society in 1986 and also as President of the American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Foundation. Terry was elected Director of The American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, which he served from 1976 through 1986, being Vice President in 1981-1982 and Chairman of the American Board in 1985-1986. Through his work on the American Board as a superb examiner, member of the examination and many other committees, and through his thoughtfulness and scientific knowledge, he made many contributions to the certification process and to our specialty. From 1974 to 1988 he was Chairman of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Magee-Womens Hospital.

Terry had a great sense of humor and was extremely athletic, carrying his squash racket wherever he went, taking fly fishing and trout fishing lessons as often as possible. To fully appreciate the extent of these accomplishments, one should read the book written by Ann Koto Hayashi, Terry and Ursula's daughter, entitled "Face of the Enemy, Heart of a Patriot" (Garland Publishing Inc., New York, 1995). In it she gives probably the best description of her father: "Despite his enormous success, he struts very little. Actually, he is a rather unassuming man -- though he does have the infamous Hayashi stubborn streak and temper! And like his father, honor is important to him." And about her father's superb ballroom dancing she adds, "he has quite a reputation for his double shuffling." T. Terry Hayashi died February 7, 1997. He will be remembered with love, affection, and admiration by his friends, colleagues, family, patients, and students.

Submitted by Albert B. Gerbie, M.D.

Return to In Memoriam